Every so often, you wonder why do my text messages disappear on Android devices? Today, we communicate primarily via mobile devices, which allow us to make calls, send and receive text messages, chat, manage contacts and applications, save files, and do various other tasks. However, there are situations when your text messages are abruptly lost or erased for no apparent reason at all. Why do my text messages disappear on Android devices? Let’s get a quick review about it.
Why Do My Text Messages Disappear On Android?
A variety of factors might cause the problem. It might be due to an unintentional deletion or loss, recent program upgrades that influence your text messages, your phone’s data and time settings not being updated, an outdated Android system or app version, and so on. The following section is about the many ways you may address the problem.
An SMS message may often be accidentally deleted by swiping the message thread to the left. Out-of-date Android operating systems, applications, or date and time settings might cause all SMS inbox messages and message history to be deleted without notice in rare situations. Even a faulty app update, Android OS upgrade, or phone restart might result in the loss of stored messages and chats.
The unexpected Google Messages app problem may explain why do my text messages disappear on Android devices for specific users. Furthermore, if you have “Delete old messages” enabled in your Messages settings, you will lose past text messages.
How To Restore Lost Text Messages Using Android Data Recovery?
When your text messages mysteriously vanish, you may use FoneDog Android Data Recovery, a trustworthy and straightforward program. This is a more effective and secure method for recovering lost or deleted text messages, contacts, call logs, chats, and other sorts of data from Android smartphones. It allows you to scan your device and examine the results of each file. You may also do a thorough scan to get additional results.
Start the FoneDog Android Data Recovery Tool and follow the on-screen instructions
After downloading and installing FoneDog Android Data Recovery, you may access it via the desktop shortcut icon, the taskbar pinned icon, or the Start menu. After that, connect your Android smartphone to your computer via a USB cord.
Configure your Android device to accept USB debugging
After that, when the PC identifies your Android device, enable USB Debugging mode on it. Unplug your Android smartphone or the USB cord and re-plug it if it does not appear after a few minutes.
Examine and preview the e-mail messages
Next, choose the File Types that you wish to scan from your Android smartphone, such as Messages, and then click the Next button to continue. You may also do a thorough scan and inspect the contents of each file result after the scan by selecting it from the results list.
Recover the Messages That Have Been Deleted
Following the scan, you may pick the exact files you wish to recover to your Android smartphone from the list shown. Once you’ve finished, click on the Recover button. Wait until the recovery procedure is complete, and avoid any disruptions throughout the process if at all possible.
How to Fix Messages Keep Deleting Themselves on Android?
Because the root cause of the issue is unknown, you should attempt each of the following approaches one at a time to see whether the problem is fixed in the meanwhile.
Check that “Delete Old Messages” is turned off
If you don’t already know, the Texts app on your Android phone has a feature that allows you to erase old messages automatically. This is why, if this option is selected, your texts are being deleted from your phone without your permission. You may stop the option to prevent your messages from being destroyed by doing the following:
- Go into the Settings menu on your Messages app
- Toggle the Delete old messages toggle to the offsetting
Clear the Text Messaging App’s Cache and Data
Especially, clearing the cache and data for your Messages app is another option for resolving the issue. The two most common causes of app problems are the cache and app data. You should be able to remedy the problem by clearing them out.
- On your phone, navigate to Settings > Apps & notifications > Messages > Storage & cache.
- Clear cache first, then Clear storage.
- The data in the app should now be gone.
The Message App must be forced to stop and then restarted
You may try force-stopping and relaunching the Texts app to see if this prevents your messages from being automatically destroyed. You may do so by following the steps below.
- On your phone, go to Settings > Apps & notifications > Messages.
- To terminate the app, tap the Force Stop option.
- From your app drawer, open the Messages app.
Reboot Your Android Phone
You’ve undoubtedly done this, but it’s worth trying again to see whether restarting your Android phone keeps your texts from being deleted automatically.
- For a few seconds, press and hold the Power button.
- From the choices on your screen, choose Restart.
- Your problem should be addressed soon.
Uninstall the Messages app’s Recent Updates
If your messages are being destroyed solely due to the latest Messages app upgrade, you may attempt rolling back the update to resolve the problem.
- On your phone, go to Settings > Apps & notifications > Messages.
- Uninstall updates by tapping the three dots in the top-right corner.
- The app should now revert to its prior state.
The Messages app has been updated
Here, you may be running an out-of-date version of the Messages app, which is why your messages are being automatically removed. Try upgrading the app to see if it fixes the issue.
- Select My apps & games from the Google Play Store by tapping the three horizontal lines in the top-left corner.
- In the list, look for Messages and hit update next to it. This will bring your phone’s app up to date.
How to Recover Lost/Missing Messages on Android Phone?
If your Android phone continues to erase messages after the preceding remedies, you may want to retrieve some of your essential texts. When it comes to recovering data from Android-based devices, Tenorshare UltData for Android is a great application. Not only can you recover and restore your messages with this app, but you can also recover and restore numerous other stuff on your phone. We’ll see how to recover any deleted messages on Android’s phone.
- On your computer, download, install, and execute the program as mentioned earlier. On the tool’s main interface, choose Recover Lost Data.
- Connect your phone to the computer via a USB cable. Follow the on-screen steps to enable USB debugging on your phone.
- On the next page, choose Messages and click Start.
- You’ll be able to see previews of the texts you’ve erased. Choose the messages you’d want to recover and click Recover in the bottom-right corner.
- That is all there is to it. Your device will be restored with the messages you selected.
How Can I Backup My Text Messages on Android?
Creating frequent backups on Android is a good idea if you don’t want your important SMS or MMS messages to vanish in the future. Below, we’ll show you how to create copies of text messages in two easy but effective ways.
How can I utilize the SMS Backup and Restore feature? (Free Download at Google Play Store)
- Select SMS Backup and Restore from the menu bar.
- Select Back up now from the Menu icon in the upper left corner.
- Tap the Advanced option under “Backup choices” to back up all SMS messages or just a specific SMS conversation.
- To specify a location for message backups, tap CONFIGURE under the “Backup location” section.
- Choose BACK UP from the drop-down menu.
How to Back Up SMS Messages to Google Drive Automatically
- Firstly navigate to the Settings app on Android after unlocking it.
- Select Google > Backup from the drop-down menu.
- Choose the “Back up immediately” option.
After that, you can quickly access and check out the backups from Google Drive’s main menu. You may snap a screenshot of the text history and conversations in addition to generating backups to recover should you lose text messages on an Android phone.
Where Are Deleted Text Messages Stored On Android?
It’s also important to understand where they’re kept on Android if they’re lost. When a text is deleted from the system, it is not removed. Instead, your phone modifies the text file’s record to identify it as “deleted” and free up the space it occupies. Still, the real data remains intact – although in an inaccessible state until fresh data overwrite it. In this method, you may still retrieve text messages deleted from your Android smartphone before they disappear entirely from the device’s memory.
How Can I Prevent Missing Text Messages on Android From Happening Again?
So, these are some suggestions to help you avoid having a nightmare experience again in the future. If you wish to keep your mails secure, you must do the following:
- Back up your text messages from your Android handset to your PC or other devices regularly.
- You can enable Google’s automatic data backup options for your information from the Settings menu.
- Protect your Android device from dangerous virus or malware attacks by installing a safe and trustworthy anti-virus application.
- Before you delete anything from your phone, double-check your work.
- Before upgrading the Android operating system or applications, make a backup of your data.
We do it using our mobile devices when sending and receiving text messages. Some of the text messages that include vital information that we might return to later on are kept on our computers. And that would be a problem if you ran into a situation like “why do my text messages vanish on my Android cellphone,” which would be frustrating. Thus, this article will provide you with several options for resolving your problem, including retrieving deleted text messages.
Please let us know your opinions in the comments section below.